state & national athletics pathways
Qld Athletics State Championships:
Are usually held in March, there are no qualifying standards and most USCAC athletes can enter (age limits apply)
Entry fees are payable for Base & Gold memberships athletes
To be eligible for QA State Team selection for the Australian Track and Field Championships (Nationals), the athlete must be a Gold or Platinum member. *Athletes can upgrade from Base membership to either membership after QA State Championships, however, be aware upgrading will cost a minimum of $70 and there is a very limited time to nominate for selection to the QA State Team once the championships are completed!
Age groups – U13/U14/U15/U16/U17/U18/U20/Open:
The athlete Age Group for QA State / National Championships is determined by the age the athlete will turn in the year of these championships.
U13 – U20 athletes will change age groups or ‘AGE UP’ mid-season summer athletics season. This will have an impact on certain events. Some throwers; hurdlers; distance athletes will find there is an increase in weight/height or distance. Eg. December 31 you may throw a 1kg discus – but Jan 1 you age up and now throw a 1.5 kg discus.
Athletes are encouraged to compete in USCAC singlet/crop top; however, it is not compulsory
Qualification for Australian Track and Field Championships:
To qualify for selection in the QA State Team to compete at Australian Track and Field Championships athletes can either:
- Medal at QA State Championships (top 3 individuals – not relays)
- Obtain a national qualifying standard result at any QA shield or permitted meet (from Jan 1 of the year before the National Champs are to be held up to the QA State Champs the following year. – eg Jan 2023 to March 2024 is the qualifying period for Australian Champs in being held in April 2024
- You must qualify with the weight; height or distance that is determined by the age the athlete will turn in the year of the championships. Remembering some athletes will ‘AGE UP’ during the qualifying time and will need to obtain a qualifier in that new age group.
Athletes with National qualifiers MUST also
- Compete at QA State Championships in any event, even if they have a qualifying standard *There are exemptions for athletes living outside of SE Qld.
- Compete in at least one QA shield meet within the season.
(In previous years* subject to change)
Selection for QA State Team:
QA State team selection applications close on the TUESDAY after QA State Championships and later applications will not be accepted.
- There will be a QA fee for the State team athletes
- Athletes will be required to purchase a uniform after team selection conformation
- Athletes will be required to find their own transport & accommodation to the National Championships which are generally held from late March to mid-April. Often athletes can apply for travel grants & USCAC have an athlete subsidy *Conditions Apply – https://uscathleticsclub.asn.au/athlete-financial-support/
- Australian Track and Field Championship venues change yearly